Monday, January 20, 2014

Six Sea Days

Tonight ends our six straight days at sea. We have been fortunate with pleasant temperatures and cooperative seas. It hasn't been as smooth as the 10-day stretch we did last year on the South Pacific Ocean, but nevertheless I am overall happy with the transit. 

There has not been much to write about the last six days other than that bridge has taken up almost all of our time.  We have had four tables of beginners and they are very enthusiastic. While Michael is giving the intermediate lesson, I am generally working with the beginners.  I have only played bridge once during this 6-day run, and even though I am around the bridge instruction all day long, I feel like I am losing my edge. One needs to play it to remember and be good at it. But hey, I am not complaining.  At least I know how to set up a game, and score a game.

Our players have given us nothing but praise and are already talking about us coming back for next year's cruise.  I know we have arrived bridge-wise because we got invited to Stella's "old friends" party.  This was quite a shindig with incredible appetizers served with cocktails in the card room, and then we repaired to Restaurant 2 for a lovely dinner (and yes, that is the name of the restaurant).  Seaborn cannot do something simple; we had a very interesting meringue desert and after that, a second dessert was served. This one was a tree of creampuffs drizzled with caramel. By this time, no one was hungry, and yet a third dessert of bonbons was served!  OMG!

Last night we had a Polynesian party on the pool deck.  Men wore aloha shirts, and women wore Hawaiian dresses or Pareos. The entertainers and band played south pacific melodies, most of them from the show South Pacific.  There was a beautiful South Pacific inspired buffet in the Colonnade, and dessert was served out on the pool deck accompanied by some really rocking tunes.  The Rock the Boat party was well underway with people dancing and enjoying the balmy air.  


    Carved vegetable display

    Aloha

    Rock The Boat entertainment


After six days of being "on" in public and working and dining with the passengers, Michael and I took the night off.  We decided to order room service -- I got my peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  We watched a dumb movie while dining in our pajamas. See, all the comforts of home!

If you ever go to the tropics, where it is hot, humid and windy, DO NOT let anyone talk you into getting a perm. I look like I have a long afro!  At least it is now long enough to pull back into a ponytail.  No amount of hair stuff can tame it under these conditions. 

I'm sorry that this entry is rather boring, but days at sea not a whole lot happens that's worthy of reporting.  I am still having trouble sleeping, so what's new?  Some days my knees are working, some days they're not.  But I'm not going to let anything stop me as we have some fun excursions coming up in the next few days. Papeete, Tahiti is our next stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment