Friday, January 31, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand

We have been to Auckland (New Zealand’s largest city) three times and it was amazing that I remembered the layout of the city and where things were located.  This is a beautiful city, surrounded by water everywhere.  It was sunny and there was a brisk breeze blowing across the water that kept the temperature at a pleasant 72 degrees. The ship was docked right downtown, and I mean right there.  If you cross the main street in front of the pier, there is the city and you are on Queen Street, the main shopping area.  A large shopping mall is located one block from the ship. One could not ask for a more convenient location. Also located here are ferry terminals, which continually criss-crossing the waterways.  If I had to live anywhere else besides the United States, I would choose to live here.  The people are friendly and the city is spotless.


    Docked at the foot of downtown


    View of pier and downtown as we left Auckland 


We did not have any tours today, so I decided I would get a manicure and pedicure.  I find that the quality and price are more to my liking off the ship (the price was equivalent to what I pay at home).  While I was doing routine maintenance, Michael was shopping for a Jawbone UP, a gadget that you wear on your wrist that measures distance walked and how well you sleep.  I got one in Hawaii, and he wants one too.  Only problem is, they don’t or can’t import them to New Zealand.  He will have to wait until we get to Sydney to get one.  These gadgets are good or bad depending on how you look at things:  it confirms what I already know – I had a crappy night’s sleep, and I did not walk enough to do any good in terms of health.  Speaking of walking, today was a two-pain pill day. 

 

I had a chance to have a meal off the ship and you all know by now what I had:  drum roll please – McDonald’s Big Mac!  I needed a good dose of junk food, a taste of home. We headed back to the ship because I was not up for the aimless wandering around that Michael likes to do, plus I had some things to take care of that gets pushed to the background when we are working.  Michael went off to find batteries for my laser pointer, which pooped out during my iPad class yesterday.

 

Speaking of the iPad class, I had a full room in the Grand Salon!  My presentation was interrupted at least four times by crew fire drill announcements.  But I am a pro and took it all in stride.  Michael said I was the talk of the ship, and now I am getting requests to do individual sessions, which I will not do.  I have been offered money for private lessons, but that is a big NO NO.  I will accept a gift (ever so humble) of maybe a new iPad Retina Mini…… (big smile/hint hint). People came to the class who did not have one, but after hearing me tell them about what you can do with it, they are going to go out and buy one when we get to Sydney.  I think Apple should give me a commission on all the iGadgets I have sold for them.  Or maybe a job.

 

While I was in my room doing catch-up work, I got a phone call saying there was a woman named Nola asking for me and she was waiting on the pier.  This is a friend I met many years ago on a Crystal cruise, and last time we were in Auckland, we spent the day with her and her husband.  I had informed her many months ago when we would be in Auckland, and then I tried to get in touch with her for weeks before we left.  The email address I had for her had been disconnected!  I was feeling really bad about not seeing her, and I had a feeling that her husband had passed away (I knew he was dealing with cancer).  Figuring she had enough on her plate, I could understand her not replying or sending me a new email address.  I rushed down the gangway, through the terminal as fast as my rotten knees would let me and there was no Nola.  A couple was standing about and said that Nola had left just a few minutes before.  Everyone was looking for me on the ship, but no one thought to call my room first.  I tried to find her, but it was no use.  One of the security guards called a phone number that I was sure had been disconnected since Nola had moved from her last home about two years ago.  I left a message on what I thought might be her mobile number and asked her to email me.  Well, it was a good number and the message got through. We connected via email, but I was crushed that we did not get to see each other. 

 

We ended the evening dining with Lillian and Adrian on the back deck of the ship, watching a glorious sunset. 




1 comment:

  1. Anxious to join cruise in Sydney and meet you. Bev Webb

    ReplyDelete