Tuesday, January 28, 2014

At Sea Somewhere in the South Pacific Ocean

We have been at sea for the past four days and the seas have been generally calm, but today they really started to get rough.  I am laying in bed, dictating this, while the bed is going up and down.  I feel like I need a seatbelt to keep me in bed.  At least I am not seasick!

Well, what have we been up to these days at sea?  Bridge, Bridge and more Bridge.  I have played the last two days and I have to admit that my game is starting to fall apart as I am playing with people who have no clue about what they are doing.  You cannot know how difficult it is to play with a different person every day. 

We actually had a walk out at bridge today. A fellow came to bridge the other day obviously sick, coughing, blowing his nose, and hacking away. He sounded like he was about ready to die and he insisted he just had a little asthma.  All of the players were very unhappy that he was in the room spreading germs, not giving a care to anybody else but his own needs.  So Michael called him yesterday morning and asked him not to come to the game until he was better.  So he stayed away yesterday, but today he came in today still coughing, hacking away, and blowing his snotty nose.  The players had gotten together and decided that if he showed up they were all going to walk out. Mind you now, we are not in a position to demand that he not come to play so we turned the power over to the other players and they won. When the fellow saw that nobody was going to play, he then took the hint and got up and left.  

The Bridge community on the ship is a very tight group.  In fact, they got a petition together to demand that Seabourn keep our booking agent as their bridge provider. Holland America, who is now doing all the administrative functions for Seabourn, is quite intent on replacing our booking agent and doing the bridge placement themselves. Our players are not very happy about this, and they want us back for next year's cruise!  We will have to wait and see what happens.

We were supposed to have a another rock the boat party on the pool deck, but the weather turned nasty with the rain most of the day and very chilly temperatures.  However, why should weather spoil a perfectly good party?  So they moved the party into The Club.  How do you like the original names of some of the rooms!  


    Pool deck where we have dinner out at The Grill

Tomorrow is a big day for me.  Not only do I have bridge commitments, but I am giving the first in a series of three lectures on the iPad in the Grand Salon.  
Not only am I a bridge instructor, and iPad instructor, I am now the official Knitting instructor, too!  I don't mind it, I enjoy teaching.  And to top things off, we are hosting a dinner, AGAIN.  We are the hardest working people on the ship (outside of the crew).




 



No comments:

Post a Comment