Thursday, January 9, 2014

Roaring 20s

My big accomplishment for the day was getting to the gym. Ooh rah for me.  I had to ask directions, and since I have been on this ship and her sister ship for almost one year of combined sea days, I felt somewhat embarrassed about this fact. I did my business and made it to bridge on time.

Crazy, crazy bridge today. Eleven tables of experienced players and we had one director call after another, fouled boards, and massive scoring errors. This was all complicated by the fact Michael and I had to play to fill out a table.  Because of the interruptions and disruptions, we did not have such a great game. But that doesn't matter because any time we play, we get disqualified if we win. Boo hoo. 

Tonight we had a fun experience with the world cruisers. Tonight was a Roaring 20s theme cocktail party and dinner.  The dancers and the cruise directors were in their finest flapper costumes and there was some wonderful dancing to watch.  We sat at the dinner table with the Rabbi and his wife, and believe it or not had some incredible dinner conversation regarding faith, beliefs and religion.  And you thought you weren't supposed to talk about religion in polite company!  The meal was outstanding. I don't eat much meat, but tonight I had tournadoes of beef (a filet migon?) that was so tender and tasty that I ate most of it. We asked the chef to come to our table so we could thank him for an exceptional meal. 


    Here we are with Lillian and Adrian dressed in our dapper costumes. 

DAY 6

Last night the water turned a bit lumpy, and for most people, it would be relaxing and soothing to sleep in. But not for me. Sleep, once again, has eluded me. Some mornings it is a struggle to get going. 

Today was another day filled with bridge. We had 10 tables and Michael and I had to play.  Among all the chaos of people and boards moving around, and people not scoring properly, somehow Michael I managed to pull off a very nice game. We came in fourth out of a tough crowd and earned master points, however we get disqualified because it would not look nice for the bridge directors to win. So here is a little note to my bridge partner, Nancy:  I am earning points! but I can't keep them 😢

After five days of being inside the ship because the weather has not been very nice, we finally got outside and had lunch in the sun.  There were intermittent rain showers all day and we were very fortunate that the sun did shine while we were having our meal. I know that our reports have been a little bit boring (ok, a lot boring), but in reality all we have been doing is conducting bridge classes and games that takes up about eight hours each day, and eating or trying to sleep.  There is no good gossip to report because my gossip conduit is not on the ship (you know who you are).  Since our world right now consists of bridge and bridge players, I have to report that most of the bridge players have been very nice and have been well behaved. 

We hosted a dinner table again tonight.  As I mentioned before, hosting a dinner table is not a relaxing experience. We are expected to be gracious hosts and to make sure our company has a good time.  I must remember to put the filter on my mouth before I speak because Michael cannot kick me under the table as the table is too big for him to reach me. 

TOMORROW IS LAND HO!  We will have five days off in Hawaii before we go back to work for six straight days in a row when we cross the South Pacific Ocean to Tahiti. 



3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I miss Hawaii. Enjoy! At least you're familiar there and know what to see or not. Also, remember, sometimes a sign of intelligence is to just smile and be quiet :-) Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been to Hawaii several times and took a trip to Tahiti, loved both. Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend Nan gave me your blog info. Iwill be following your updates and will meet you when I board in Sydney. I'm also a Bev!

    ReplyDelete