Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bora Bora

Bora Bora never let's me down. It is Boring Boring. 

This island says Polynesia. It is considered the "Pearl of the Pacific."  Ocean waves brush the barrier reefs with small islets surrounding the main island. The waters in the lagoon are bright turquoise, which contrast with the indigo of the ocean beyond.  Volcanic peaks rise up from the sea to create magical shapes that reach to the sky. The island is only 15 square miles and it's airport lies on an outer islet.  And all the good beaches are on the islets surrounding the island; you need a boat to get to them. Since there is no letter B in the Tahitian language, locals pronounce it Pora Pora. 

We arrived at our anchorage around 8am. Our alarm clock went off on schedule -- the bow thrusters came to life while the crew set the anchor. It's good to know that even the pros have to set the anchor more than once to get a good bite, but it doesn't help me get that few extra winks of shut-eye. Again, the heavens were in control today. Michael went ahead to shore via tender to scope things out since I was I was in considerable pain this morning and didn't want to tax my aching body if there was nothing to see or do different from last time we were here. Using walkie talkies, I got a first hand report from shore that said "ITS POURING, I'm coming back."  

So it seemed like a good time to catch up on blog writing, which I did.  But the internet has been down for the past two days so I am not sure if anything I did send actually was delivered. The rain stopped for lunch, then it started up again. This paradise only works when the sun is out. 

For the first time that we have been on a Seabourn ship, they opened the marina. What is the marina? Deck 2 opens up to reveal a swimming cage that extends from the ship out into the water as well as a pier for all the water toys like zodiacs, the banana boat, water skis, etc.  Michael got to ride on the banana boat. Here is his description:  it was fun, he didn't get wet and it was more stable than he thought. It was exhilarating when they would speed up and go over wakes.  It was the day's highlight for him. I took a nap

    Deck 2 contains the marina


    The marina is deployed.  Swimming cage surrounded by dock. 


    Ready for banana ride


    Banana ride


We were invited to a cocktail party on Deck 7, in a suite on the bow. It's nice to see how the other half lives, but it is also sweet to be invited and hang with the big shots. I carefully fixed my hair for the evening, but couldn't help myself and went out on the deck to chat up some folks.  As the ship left her anchorage and picked up speed, my carefully coiffed hair started flying about. Hair in your mouth is not pleasant, especially when you are trying to eat, drink, talk and take pictures all at the same time.  Plus the damn perm....my hair now looked like a big frizz ball that needed a serious combing or a close shearing.  I did get a couple of outstanding sunset pictures that I may or may not be able to transfer from my phone to iPad.

Since we didn't have enough to eat, it was off to the a Grill for dinner with one of our bridge player couples. I really wasn't hungry (I don't think I ever am while aboard) but to be polite, I order food knowing that I probably won't eat it or like it. I hate to waste food, but the kitchen staff has no concept of a smidge, a tiny bit, or a taste. No matter what size you ask for, you get a regular serving. 

Back in our room, Michael conked out after giving up on trying to download a book. I guess the banana ride wore him out [insert a laugh and smirk here].  I am diligently doing my duty to write even though I may not get anything sent because the internet sucks right now and I can't connect. So if you don't hear from me for several days, don't worry, the internet is probably down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment