Friday, February 14, 2014

Geelong, Australia

Okay guys, I am really losing it. I am having trouble remembering what we did and where since we've had so many port days in a row in tiny villages and towns.  Geelong, pronounced with a hard G sound, is another super friendly city with a small town feel.  Geelong was named in 1827, with the name derived from the local aborginal name for the region, Jillong, thought to mean "land" or "cliffs."  The first wool store was erected in this period and it became the port for the wool industry of the Western District.  The city then diversified into manufacturing and during the 1860s it became one of the largest manufacturing centers in Australia with its wool mills, ropeworks, and paper mills.  I don't have a lot of information on the city as we did not take a tour and Google has not provided a whole lot information that is useful.

The ship was at anchor and we tendered to shore, and docked at the yacht club. Representatives from the town were giving out nice tote bags as well as directions to the towns attractions.  Everything was within walking distance, so we took off along the waterfront our way to the Wool Museum.

The waterfront was nicely developed with a trail along the water’s edge.  Athletic fields were in use with kids playing “football” or what we call soccer.  Colorful playgrounds for the kids were scattered about.  There was an enclosed carousel there, too.  


But I was on a mission:  I wanted to go to the Wool Museum.  Those that have read my past blogs know that I am not a fan of museums; they have to be really great for me to even consider crossing the threshold.  But anything to do with wool, yarn, or knitting I’m there.  Michael had no desire to go with me, so he went to the Westfield Mall (my goodness, you can’t escape them, can you?) to have some keys made for the cabinets on the ship that hold the bridge supplies. 


This museum detailed the wool industry, showing the steps it takes to get the wool from the sheep to the retail yarn store.  Actual machines were on display as well as the wool as it is processed.  Wool from the different breeds of sheep were also on display.  There was also a huge weaving machine that was used for making rugs, which you can buy. 




The best part of any tour for me is talking to the locals. There was a man sitting on the ground sharpening a blade with what looked like sandpaper.  I inquired, as inquiring minds want to know, what he was doing.  This fellow was the sheep shearer!  He would be giving a sheep shearing demonstration in a little while.  Since I didn’t get to see this process while at the sheep farm in Nelson, I now had a chance to see it live and just a few feet away.  While waiting for the demo, we passed the time talking about fibers and their characteristics.  He was quite impressed with my knowledge about the subject, but with a fiberholic, what would you expect? 

saw the demo and I could not believe how docile the sheep was.  She just laid there while he did his thing.  She didn’t bite, didn’t make a sound.  I think she was glad to get that warm coat off of her body.  A shearer averages about 150 sheep per day at a price of $2.70/sheep, but really good ones can shear up to 300 per day.  They work eight hours a day and must be physically strong to control the 200 pound animal. 


I then joined Michael at the mall and we had lunch in the food court.  We had a Subway sandwich.  Not my favorite, but Michael was treating so I just sat down and took a load off my knees.  We walked through the mall and with nothing else to do, went back to the ship. 

Tonight was Valentine’s Day.  We hosted a dinner table. Each lady received a red rose.  After dinner, we returned to our cabin and found the following on the bed.  Nice touch, Seabourn stewardesses.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Beverly - Just want to say that I grew up on a sheep (Merino) station not far from Geelong. So pleased you enjoyed your visit. Jan

    ReplyDelete