Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cruising the Bay of Bengal

We have just had a three day run from Phuket to Columbo.  It has been a very busy three sea days and there has been a lot of interesting gossip and activities going around the ship.  

In the bridge room, Michael has been playing and that means that I have been directing the games.  I have the administrative stuff down pat, but when I had my first real director call, I called on Michael to help me sort it out. The rulebook for the bridge laws has words that are in English, but when you put these English words together they make no sense.  I learned the difference between a bid out of turn and pass out of turn. It is minor to those that are playing, but according to the rulebook there is a big difference.  It is in my best interest to pay attention to director calls when Michael is doing it so that I can learn the subtleties.  

We decided to separate the beginning beginners from the advanced beginners. Michael is instructing the advanced beginners and this is my first time teaching the beginning beginners.  On the short segments, it is difficult to get through an entire course so this is the best way to handle our teaching assignments.  Well, not only have I become a bridge director, but now I am a bridge teacher.  I am sitting here scratching my head wondering how this all happened!  

Moving on to other items, the world cruisers were treated to a special American 50s Diner special event.  We had one last year, and it was a lot of fun. The assistant cruise director went to a lot of effort to purchase original Coke bottles, records, and she even made poodle skirts with crinoline slips for the female staff.  Each guest's name was placed on the vinyl record, and the record album cover held the menu. The guys did the white T-shirt with a cigarette pack rolled up in the sleeve, and dungarees rolled at the cuff showing white socks.  The guests had a wonderful time and the crew enjoyed the night free of uniforms.  There was even a jukebox playing some good old rock and roll. I ordered meatloaf, but it was not like we make at home.  How do you teach Europeans how to cook American-style? I don't think it is possible, but they gave it a good try.











No comments:

Post a Comment